The generation who currently dominate the status quo, those now aged between 50 to 60, were defined by growing up in the tumultuous period of the late 60‘s . In contrast, the 80s – a time that served to mould the mindsets of a generation now aged between 30 and 40 – were characterized by globalization combined with a retreat into the private realm, a sharp growth in the tertiary sector of the economy, as well as the development of an acute gap between rich and poor, the erosion of the Eastern Bloc, Chernobyl, the rise of television and the personal computer, the decline of the forest, the emergence of a large number of new styles of music and not least the birth of postmodern architecture.
Ghosts and Busters
The Ghostbusters-issue will take this rich and conflicting period of our history as its point of departure. It will examine its environments and abiding preoccupations through a varied series of documentations – with this reflection on the past we hope to shed a new light on the present. We will address the questions thrown up by the notion of Ghosts of this time that still haunt the present with their (perhaps unconscious) influences – the era‘s ideals, its outlook, its hopes and fears. We will also chase the idea of Busting – which ghosts do we need to face and how? How would an exorcism of this era look? What might we loose in the process of expelling these ghosts? And which spirits, once summoned, are we unable to get rid of again? For us, these questions are especially connected to notion of the avant-garde, which usually serves as a kind of Ghostbuster in its bravado towards the past, a role that we should constantly question.
Contributions can be generated by respective disciplinary expertise ranging from Nutritionist to Architect, but also by varied personal perspectives.
Texts, Pictures and more
Camenzind is looking for a wide-range of contributions to this voluminous, revolutionary and unprecedented issue (texts, images, plans, instructions etc.) Camenzind is not looking for scientific papers, but texts written in a manner intelligible and accessible to all, which demonstrate the highest standards with regards to content while remaining enjoyable to read.
1. „The 80s“: reports from the 80s, typical documents, sunken treasures, cultural exegeses, platitudes and exclusive things, etc. etc.
2. „Ghosts“: explorations of our current situation with regard to unconscious influences, unacknowledged ideals, formal short-circuits, secret traditions – preferably related to the 1980s.
3. „Busters“: Coups of a constructive, destructive, intellectual, formal, visual or textual nature.
Contact and Specifications
- Deadline for contributions: Sept. 1st 2012
- mail: email@example.com (all formats ok)
- post: Camenzind, Hardstrasse 69, CH-8004 Zürich
- Language: English or German. Text not longer than 2500 words
- Camenzind is open to discuss proposals per email, fax, BTX, telephone or by psychic.
- Release: December 12th, 2012